Wednesday, May 27, 2009

May 27 - Prague


My final night in Vienna - night of rest and relaxing - what just what the Dr. ordered to prepare me for Prague. This city has a reputation for a lively nightlife, and it hasn't dissapointed by any means. This is my 3rd, and final, night here, so I am going to enjoy it. After my train ride from Vienna, I got in and had a nice sweaty walk to my hotel. It was hot as bollocks here the past 2 days (more on that later). So on Monday, I decided to just grab my camera and go wandering to acquaint myself with the city. Prague is a beautiful place, yet at the same time has a large amount of sketchiness. Apparently the cabs here are as corrupt as Bernie Madoff, so I have avoided them thus far. So I walked around, found the Charles Bridge, the National Museum, and several beatuiful squares. My first night I found a good Irish pub called Caffrey's and had a couple there, then wandered some more. Found another good bar or 2, then stepped into a club to see what was going on. Surprisingly, for a monday, it was packed, and, thankfully, there were actually young people there! Imagine my surprise after my previous club going experiences. Left there around 3:30ish, grabbed a sausage for the walk (it's like Boston almost - sausage vendors on many corners) and hit the hay.

Let's just say that yesterday was pretty miserable for me. 85 degrees + no clouds + no breeze + hilly terrain + hangover = Chris is a sweaty, dehydrated mess. All day. It was almost embarassing. I usually sweat like a whore in church, but this was different - I felt like I looked like I just went running. Oh well, as I definitely wasn't the only person sweating a bit out there... I walked over the Charles Bridge and went up to the Petrin Observation Tower, which is sitting on a hill overlooking all of Prague. It's an Eiffel Tower replica, only smaller, and I had every intention of walking up it to the top to get the vantage point. However, upon getting there and seeing not only the treacherous stairs up it, but also the less than confidence-inspiring catwalk on the top, I chickened out. Looked good though. The I walked over to the immense Prague Castle, where I spent a couple hours wandering around. It's huge, and very cool. Then, after about 5 hours of walking, I grabbed a late lunch and took a little, much needed nappypoo. When I woke up, my plan was to take a relatively easy night walking around, so that I could take some night pictures. But a monsoon forced me to alter those plans pretty quickly. I walked, then when the rain got too bad, I poked into a pub for a spell. Then walked again, and ducked my head into a place called Harley's. I walked in, and was the only person in there. But it was cool cause they had a baseball game on (Cubs v. Pirates), so I didn't care. Had a beer or 2, then decided to pull the trigger on something that I've only heard about, but been curious to try. Absinth. So I ordered one shot, and took it down. Next thing I know, I see Mr. T singing "Take me out to the ballgame" in Wrigley, and wasn't sure if that was the absinth or it actually happened. Then they flashed back to when he threw out the first pitch - he's a southpaw! Who'da thunk it. I pity the fool. About 10 minutes laterI started feeling a tad fuzzy and had some funny thoughts, so here's what I wrote down:

- why is my shirt glowing???? what's going on here?? Oh, I'm wearing white and there's a blacklight in here. settle down.

- I am sweating! Why? Oh, I sweat a lot. And now I am tingling. Why? Oh, absinth.

- The game jumped from the 7th inning to the 3rd inning, and then to the 9th inning. Either I am Superman or ESPN America is royally fucking with me. Pretty sure I am not Superman, and tomorrow I'll feel like Clark Kent on qualudes. (turns out ESPN America doesn't show commercials and skips around at times. that info would have helped me out bigtime last night.)

Overall, absinth was a bit overrated I felt. I just got a little tingly, that was all. Nothing serious. Maybe I didn't do enough of it? Doesn't matter.

So today I was up early and feeling good, and walked around a lot more. Hit some more churches, walked up to 2 towers and took some great pix, so I am psyched. At this point in my trip, though, I have looked at so many maps, gone to so many historic sights, and seen so many museums and churches, I feel like a less suave, much less religious combination of Indiana Jones and the Pope.

It's been a great stop here in Prague, and I am pumped to hit a pub for the UEFA Champions League Final tonight, Man U v. Barcelona. Go Red Devils. Off to Berlin tomorrow. Peace!!

Oh, and if anyone has a spare liver, please let me know - I'm going to need it when I get back to the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment