Thursday, May 7, 2009

May 7 - Dublin


Chilling in an internet cafe in Dublin - in Temple Bar on Wellington Quay for those of you who are familiar... had a great time in London with Ed and Sam (2 blokes who are very good friends of a good friend of mine from the Poconos) and 2 new introductees - James and Sam's brother Jack. Before the Man U v. Arsenal game, Ed and I took the train into London and got off at famous Waterloo station (which was in the 3rd Bourne movie) and we got a pint right on the River Thames. We walked up the river a bit and I got a great view of the House of Parliament and Big Ben (look kids, Big Ben, Parliament....hahahahha I can't get left!!!) which was cool to see. Then we met everyone at a pub called the Pineapple for the Man U game, which was awesome for everyone except Jack, an Arsenal supporter... so much fun, and glad that Man U won. The pints were delicious and plentiful, needless to say.

I hopped a nice quick flight yesterday to Dublin for the start of my visit here, and I've had a blast. I'm staying right in the Temple Bar area, which is bouncing with people, so it's a great place to be. After checking into the hotel, I wandered around the city for a bit - took a look at the Dublin castle, Trinity College and St. Stephen's Green - and then took off for my first authentic pint of Guinness at the Oliver St. John Gogarty. Great first pub experience for me - the Guinness was delish, and I also was lucky enough to experience 2 other traditional Irish standby's - old dudes rocking out traditional Irish music at the pub, and a piss drunk mid 20's Irishman. Phenomenal.

And let me just say that however delicious Guinness is over in the states, it doesn't really compare to how good it is here. It's like the nectar of the drinking gods. So good. Then I walked over to a bar called the Quay's and took in the Chelsea v. Barcelona game....and one or 2 more pints. The Quay's was mobbed with people, and it was great fun. An Irishman walked up to me and asked if I was American. I said, "yes, and how could you tell?" His reply - "because you have perfect teeth" and walked away. No lie.

Today has been my tourist day, as well as the first day that it actually hit me that I was in Europe for a month of fun. I was walking around, giddy, smiling, loving life. It's been quite an easy city to go sightseeing, as Dublin is a very walkable city. I started my day off with a traditional Irish breakfast, and then made my way to Christ Church, and then I went to see St. Patrick's Cathedral. And both were mindblowingly beautiful. The interior of St. Patrick's is unlike any church in the US. I'm not even going to try to desribe it, which is why I took pictures...that I haven't figured out how to post yet.... Then I walked to St. Audoen's church - and let me just say that I was shocked that I made it in and out of 3 churches without getting struck down by a flash bolt of lightning. So I decided I needed to go see a church of another ilk - the Guinness Storehouse and Brewery. Took the tour thru, and it was so cool. The 7th floor of the Brewery is called the Gravity Bar - a circular bar with glass windows providing a 360 degree view of Dublin. So I took in my complimentary pint, as well as the best view of Dublin in the city. After that, I wandered over to the famous O'Connell street - which struck me as a street that you could find in NYC or Boston. Pedestrians, bikers, tons of people. I then walked down to Trinity College again, and then over and through Merrion Square, and then back through St. Stephen's green - a beautiful park that reminds me of the Boston Common. In fact, there are a lot of things about Dublin that remind me of Boston, and, as I love Boston, I'm not surprised that I love it here.

Time for some more walking...and maybe another pint. I'm heading to Edinburgh tomorrow to spend the weekend with my cousin, so I'll check in there. Slainte!!

4 comments:

  1. Wotto!!! I'm so happy to know your are having a great time in Ireland. The Peruvian girl at Paquito's asked for you on Tuesday (happy 5 de Mayo by the way!) Keep having fun and keep trying to upload some pictures. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you still had the baby teeth that mick never would've found you out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://homepage.eircom.net/%7Efluoridefree/images/Df.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wrong link - Pogue's Shane McGowan

    http://www.zoom-in.com/files/u5931/shane_mcgowan.jpg

    ReplyDelete